LOVE… EVEN IN THE MIDST OF SIN
OUR INDWELLING SIN, THOUGH VILE, IS NO BARRIER TO THE LOVE OF GOD
Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God’s elect? [It is] God that justifieth. Who [is] he that condemneth? [It is] Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? [shall] tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Some time ago, I either heard or read the following, and believe it to be true all the more despite the potential for abuse or misinterpretation; the gist of it was that…,
‘The more God’s people are given to understand how GREATLY the Lord LOVES them EVEN IN THE MIDST OF THEIR SIN — the more they will loathe themselves in light of their sin, and the more they will desire to increasingly repent and turn from their sin, as they seek a greater sense of felt-communion with the One who delivered them from the dominion of sin — even our God and Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ.’
GOD LOVED US
- God in Christ loved us eternally before there ever was sin.
- God in Christ loved us eternally even when our natural father (after the flesh, the first Adam) transgressed… opening the floodgates of sin.
- God in Christ loved us eternally when we, personally, were in open rebellion, being alienated from the life of God, and dead in trespasses and sin.
GOD LOVES US
- God in Christ loves us eternally when He gives His quickened saints grace, faith, and strength, through the Holy Spirit, to turn from a life of sin.
- God in Christ loves us eternally even when His saints fail to be vigilant, watchful, and prayerful, giving into temptation, and falling into sin.
- God in Christ loves us eternally when He draws us back, and turns us, and causes us to cry out to Him for mercy, repentance, and forgiveness of sin.
AND GOD WILL CONTINUE TO LOVE US… ALWAYS!
- God in Christ will continue to love us eternally when He returns, calling us up to be with Him in glory, delivering us forever from this body of death and sin.
- God in Christ will continue to love us eternally when He returns, judging the reprobate, utterly condemning them, and casting them into Hell forever, as the just reward for their wretched sin.
- God in Christ will continue to love us eternally, and to keep us, even forever and forever, in perfect vital union with Him, and the Godhead in Him, without any possibility of ever falling again into *any* sin.
This is the BEAUTY of the LOVE of GOD towards His elect, towards all those chosen in Christ from before the world was, even towards all of those for whom the Lord Jesus died on the cross (as their Redeemer and Propitiatory Substitute); for the love of God towards man, is first and foremost, towards that perfect man, that God-man, even Christ Jesus the Lord. God loves The Beloved and all who, through eternal election and predestination, through the finished work of Christ, and through the quickening and sealing power of the Holy Ghost, are found in Him, kept by Him, and forever united with Him. The knowledge that God loves us, that He loves all who believe His Truth, with God-given faith, even in our weakest moments, our most vile moments, should not leave us to be content in sin but to cause us all the more to strive against it, to resist it, mortifying the deeds of the flesh, and spiritually buffeting our bodies with meditations upon Christ, His word, and the perfection of His will concerning us. May His will indeed be done, and not our own.
To God be the glory, in Christ Jesus, Amen!